It is very exciting that creativity is getting more attention in research. An understanding of what creativity is is necessary to maximize creative potential. Five fundamental insights of creativity to consider include:
1) Creativity takes more than originality; it is a combination of originality and task appropriateness.
2) There are different levels of creativity: “mini-c” represents interpretive creativity, “little-c” is everyday creativity, “Pro-C” is expert creativity, and “Big-C” represents legendary creativity.
3) Context matters. Avoid rewards, competition, social comparisons, and evaluative monitoring; create an environment of personal interest, involvement, enjoyment, and engagement in challenging tasks.
4) Creativity comes at a cost: it takes work, effort, and risk.
5) There is a time and place for creativity. It is important to teach and model how to assess a situation for appropriateness to use one’s creative strengths.